Verification is the process established by the Department of Education to check the accuracy of the information provided by the student on the FAFSA. The student's application can be selected for verification at any time during the awarding process. Most applications are selected by the Department of Education but some student files are selected by the college. If your application is selected for the verification process, you will be notified by the college and the federal processor. Using the IRS data retrieval tool on your application will reduce the number of documents you must provide to the college for your verification process. The amount of your federal financial aid award may change as a result of the verification process.
Required Verification Documents:
- 2019-2020 (Dependent or Independent, as applicable) Institutional Verification Worksheet available online through Dynamic Forms and the student WISE account notification tab link.
- 2017 (Parent and/or Student, as applicable) Tax Return Transcript if the IRS Data Retrieval Tool was not used.
- The Federal Tax Return Transcript can be requested online or by telephone 1-800-908-9946.
- Any other documents necessary to verify required data.
- As of September 23, 2018, the current format of the individual tax return transcript(s) was replaced by the IRS with an updated version that redacts sensitive personal identifying information of the tax filer. As a result of the IRS security updates, students (parents) must provide their first and last names as well as the student ID number on all documents submitted to their Financial Aid Office.
Verification Process and Dynamic Forms:
When the student's SAR is selected for verification, the student and/or parent is required to complete an online Institutional Verification form (Dynamic Forms) that is available to the student through their online WISE account.
Accessing Dynamic Forms:
The student will receive an email notification to their PHSC mail account that their SAR was selected for verification and will be directed to their student WISE account and the notification tab. Once the student acknowledges their notification on WISE, the student can then select the verification form, use their myPHSC login and password to create a Dynamic Forms profile and complete their online Verification Worksheet with a secure electronic signature.
The verification process may delay the awarding process timeline and will not be completed until the student has provided all the necessary and requested documentation.